Friday, August 9, 2019

Spell preview

Edit: I have a Discord server now if you have questions/want to contact me! :)
https://discord.gg/jrGyj2p

I seem to manage to update this blog more often than I thought, although there are not many readers :)

Thanks again for everyone interested in this project!



Spells in Tidewoken

Tidewoken features over 45 spells per class, which will be a big feature of this game.
Everyone who knows Guild Wars 1 will probably already know that I am heavily inspired by this game.

For those who don't know Guild Wars 1:
It is a very unique MMO which features hundreds of spells that you can choose from, while only being able to take 8 of them in each battle.
GW1 really changed what I love about games, you should check it out, it's still playable!

I really loved the idea to combine both games, Guild Wars 1 and Dofus into a competitive arena game.

Spell System

Like Guild Wars 1 you are able to take 8 of (currently) 48 class spells with you.
One of these 8 spells can be a legendary spell. Legendaries are a bit more unique and powerful than regular spells. In GW1 these were known as "Elites".


Example build that focuses on "pushback" damage

Attributes define how strong these spells are.

Attributes of the class Mystic
I choose not to include a secondary class or a way to obtain spells of a different class.
This is purely a design choice, because I am not able to balance all these spells and different interactions as a solo developer.



Tooltips

Because I already have over 90 spells, I have to build my spell systems flexible.
The tooltips of the spells are created based on the spells variables, changing values and damage types are automatically highlighted. The height of this widget is also calculated with the length of the text.

Spell values improve with higher attribute level

To create this tooltip I simply have to fill a variable in the blueprint of this spell:



I can't talk about spells without showing a few example spells which I really like:






I wanted to post more about the technical background of the tooltips, but Blogger successfully killed half of this post.
It will be in the next blog entry then ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have questions regarding this project, let me know!

I'm looking for testers with understanding of tactical turn based PvP games like Dofus!